No matter who you are, where you are from, your age, or your lifestyle you want to be loved and accepted. When God created us, He took deep thought into it. No two people on Earth are the same, so He must have obviously designed us all special. Twins even have different character traits.
One will go to great lengths to be loved or find acceptance. When someone is in a relationship or wants someone to notice them, you can bet that they will dress their best, act their best, and do everything in their power to attract the other person. Some people we would have never guessed that we would be friends with, but they changed something that made them seem more like-able or presentable. An example would be a nerdy kid that starts to smoke so he could fit in with the bad guys, or a insecure young lady who shows off her body to get attention from guys or get in popular circle.
In society today, we are given the impression that you either fit this category or you’re a nobody. I remember I once wore a pair of shoes to school (chuck Taylor’s), and I promise a few guys made fun of me. Literally, a weeks or months later, a famous rapper had them on and made a song about it, and the same guys who laughed at me, began to wear them. Now I’m sitting here thinking to myself, it is beyond crazy what people do to look cool or to “fit in”. I once was the loser, but now they are wearing the same thing as me.
Christians, please stop trying to fit in. God has called us to stand out. I notice so much how in church we can act, talk, dress, and do things like the world. Let me guarantee you this, the world is miserable. The world is driven back and forth by a new style, trend, song, economy, etc. every day. The only place one can find peace and stability is in Jesus Christ and His word, the bible. The world is like a ship without a sail or anchor, they go wherever the winds blow.
If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:1-3)
– Notice that it starts off with if. Only you who claim to be a Christian should do this.
– Affection: to interest oneself in, regard, savour, think (Greek). Your interests should be heavenly and should be pleasing God biblically, not on worldly things.
– You are dead. Dead = slain (Greek). I do not believe dead people care about Jordan’s, Nike, high heels, fancy jewelry. Nor do I believe they worry about music, followers on social networks and dating. God says that you should be dead with these simple things. Our focus shouldn’t be on things.
– Of course you’re human and must survive, but seek first the kingdom and God will provide these simple things that you need (See Matthew 6:33).
No one wants to be hated or be the oddball, I understand that. However, God said the world will hate you because you do not belong to them. They hated Jesus because He came and flipped the script on them, what makes you any better than your master?
– If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. (John 15:18-20)
– You do not belong to the world, so don’t try to fit in with them.
– The world doesn’t need you. Jesus died for you to be a light to this world. Stop walking in darkness and shine!
– It isn’t fair for me to be lost and you know the way, but instead of you showing the way, you walk around lost with me.
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. (Romans 12:2 NLT)
Your worth is not in:
• A man/woman nor husband/wife. They can die or dump you.
• Money: It can be stolen, lost, and it surely doesn’t come with you when you die.
• People’s opinions: They will get rid of you as soon as you do not meet the criteria or they find someone/something better.
• A degree: This doesn’t qualify you as a Christian. Many have degrees without jobs in their fields. A degree doesn’t stop the devil from attacking you.
• What you own: Health can be taken away from you. Clothes will run out if style and you’ll have to get more to “fit in”. A car doesn’t move without gas, therefore it shouldn’t be your god. A cell phone doesn’t determine your status or change the way God sees you.
• Your good works: You were saved by grace and you won’t make it without grace.
• Your gifts, talents, or anointing: Those are from God and He could strip you of everything if He wanted to.
• Your figure: We should be focused on pointing people to Jesus, not showing off our bodies. Many cause people to lust and stumble, do not be the reason your brother/sister falls into sin.
Your worth is in one place:
No person or thing should be placed before God. We must stop idolizing our technology. Some people don’t realize it but we worship ourselves and our possessions. The bible is our spiritual mirror. We should look in there and see where we line up and see what needs to be adjusted, but some look in natural mirrors more. Worrying more about their appearance than their spirit. We cannot go a day without our phone or a social network, but a day without our bible and prayer doesn’t make us uneasy. Your worth is only found in Christ, so let your affections and desires be found in Him!
Heavenly Father, I come to you because you alone are God. I recognize that I have neglected you in some areas of my life. Your word says that I am complete in You, so help me to know that I am accepted by You and I don’t need to go to other sources for validation. Even if the world rejects me, help me to always turn to You, because you’re all that I need. Help me to see the idols that I have set up in my life, even if I made my own self my god. Help me to place you back on top and keep you there. Lord I just want to be used by you, and to please you in every way. So keep me, and let Your will be done, not mine. In Jesus name, amen.