When searching for something in a dark room, the first thing someone would do is turn on a light. It is almost impossible to be in a pitch black room and be able to find different objects. As Christians we have to understand that not only are we the “light of the world” (Matthew 5:14), but the word of God brings light to us. We must read and study it.
I once said that if you have time for Facebook, you have time for God. I thought it was a reasonable and non-offensive post, yet not everyone felt that way. I have noticed that many doctrines or churches have gave their members the wrong impression of God. We know that we are saved by grace, so now many believe “I’m set, and there’s nothing to do”. Beyond false! Legalism is reading your bible and praying as a ritual, to-do list, or to justify yourself. Jesus said we live by the Word of God (Matthew 4:4). We should be in our words because that is our only way of survival. If we don’t make time to learn about God then we will always have a carnal mind, and that’s a mind that will never please God (Romans 8:6-8). So don’t let someone give you the impression that you don’t have to read or study a lot.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalms 119:105)
– We live in a world full of darkness. Darkness is found in the media, music, schools, jobs, and almost everywhere that you can possibly go.
– The bible brings light into our dark situations. When we do not know what decision to make, the bible is said to be a light on our path.
– Many of us are in circles with people that hate us and dislike us but we cannot see. The bible is a lamp to our feet. We will never see the snakes on the floor unless we are in our bible! Neither will we know that the word said bad communication will corrupt us(1 Corinthians 15:33).
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. (Hosea 4:6)
– People believe the devil is the one trying to kill them, but actually we are the ones killing ourselves by our own ignorance.
– Being ignorant of satan’s tricks will cause us to fail time and time again.
– This scripture says that we have REJECTED knowledge! When we want to learn how to work a phone, we keep trying until we get it right. When we want to learn how to drive, we keep messing up and trying until we get it right. When in relationships, we spend time with them to see what they like and dislike. God sees all of that! So when we claim we don’t have time, He understands that we just don’t want to. When we claim to not understand a scripture, he watches to see if we will pray about it or just won’t care at all to figure it out.
– If we reject God (bible), He will reject us, and even our children.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (Ephesians 6:17)
– In this spiritual warfare that we are in, we can only defend ourselves with the word of God.
– Jesus rebuked satan with the scriptures, Matthew 4. Not with tongues, songs or any other source.
Lord Jesus, I come to you because I need you. I cannot live or walk in life without your word, so I pray that you give me a hunger for your word. I pray that when I read, that I’ll take heed and obey everything that I read. Help me to do more than study, but to apply the scriptures to my life. Quicken me with your words. Let Your words come to life and manifest in me. In Jesus name, amen!